‘The Pro Bowl’ is dead! NFL owners say they will not re-open games with Trump tweets
The NFL, which had scheduled the Pro Bowl on Feb. 3 for Los Angeles and Miami, had canceled the event after President Donald Trump tweeted that he would be “looking to change the rules for the game.”
The league said Thursday it will hold the event in a different location in 2020 and 2022.
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said the league would “look to change some rules for future games” that will be held in a more convenient location.
Goodell said that if the owners wanted to move the Pro Bowler event to Miami, “they would have to make the case for it.”
The NFL said the Pro Bowl had been rescheduled in 2021, 2022 and 2024.
Goodell did not mention the Trump tweet, saying the league “will continue to evaluate all options.”
Trump tweeted that the NFL had “allowed a lot of people to get away with murder” and said it “would be a disgrace if a few bad people got away with it.
The NFL and NFL owners must do better!”
The tweet prompted several NFL players to protest during the anthem to highlight police brutality.
Goodell and the league have said they have made strides in addressing racism in the league, but the NFL has come under fire for racist statements by players and coaches.
Goodell has said the players were “on notice” about the issue.
The NFL said it would “take appropriate actions” and “seek legal guidance.”
The Pro Bowl will be played March 1 at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, California.
Follow Chuck on Twitter at: jonathan_fritze,twitter,jfritzes,josh_kurland,jonathan_kurtis source ESPN Sports article NFL owners have said the NFL will not reopen games with President Donald J. Trump’s tweets.
In a letter to owners Thursday, Commissioner Roger Goodell and owners Michael Signora and Robert Kraft said that they would not be taking part in the Pro Football Hall of Fame induction ceremony this weekend in Canton, Ohio.
They said the owners had “serious concerns about the effect that President Trump’s incendiary rhetoric and provocative actions would have on the NFL’s business and on the credibility of the Hall of Famer and our sport.
We respectfully ask that the Hall recognize that President Donald’s actions will negatively impact the ability of our game to provide an authentic platform for the celebration of our sport and its values.”
The Pro Footballers Association, which represents players and their families, issued a statement expressing its support for the players and for Goodell’s decision.
It said that while the players have been given notice about the upcoming event, the union will “not be taking any action at this time.”
The statement said that it “regrets the timing” of the letter.
Trump’s latest tweet came after a weekend of protests by NFL players in the wake of Trump’s comments that some players would not stand for the national anthem and others would be fired if they did.